Ordre des ingénieurs du Quebec
Lancer la recherche


    OIQ_InternetHomeI amCandidate - Obtaining a permitObtaining a permitEngineer's diploma obtained in France - New Regulation

    Engineer's diploma obtained in France - New Regulation   

    Candidate’s profile Required documents File evaluation Entry on the roll


    Applications submitted after October 28, 2021

    A new regulation has come into effect on October 28, 2021. The le Règlement sur la délivrance d’un permis de l’Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec pour donner effet à l’arrangement conclu par l’Ordre en vertu de l’Entente entre le Québec et la France en matière de reconnaissance mutuelle des qualifications professionnelles (in french only) remplaces the former regulation by the same name.


    Candidate’s profile

    The Mutual Recognition Agreement on Professional Qualifications (MRA) signed between the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) and the Commission des titres d’ingénieur de France (CTI) offers French engineers a special path to obtain an engineer’s permit in Quebec.

    Programs covered by the MRA

    To know if you are eligible for the MRA, you will need to find your institution as well as your field of study on the new list of recognized programs. If the institution, as well as the field of study indicated on your diploma, is not identical to what is indicated on the list of French programs recognized by the OIQ, your file will be evaluated by the Professional Practice Admission Committee (previously named the Examiners' Committee). Type 4 evaluation fees will apply. For further details, click here.

    Temporary Restrictive Engineer’s Permit (TREP)

    Once your application is approved by the Executive Committee, we will issue you a Temporary Restrictive Engineer’s Permit (TREP). For further details, click here.

    Programs not covered by the MRA

    Specialty degree programs (issuing “diplômes de spécialisation”), degree programs that qualify individuals to practice a profession in Québec that is regulated by another order (chemist, forest engineer, agronomist, surveyor) or engage in activities that are not considered engineering and do not require a permit (e.g. meteorology, knowledge engineering, horticulture) have been excluded from the MRA and do not appear on the list.

    Other programs do not appear on the list either because the OIQ has not received enough information to render a decision, the programs do not have enough engineering subjects or the institution offers options such as financial engineering, taxation, etc.

    If your engineering diploma is not recognized by the OIQ, it may be recognized under an MRA signed by another order, such as the Ordre des chimistes, Ordre des ingénieurs-forestiers, Ordre des agronomes, or Ordre des arpenteurs-géomètres. If this is the case, you should apply to the relevant order for a permit. If this is not the case, to be eligible for an engineer’s permit, you must first obtain training equivalence. Please refer to the following profiles:

    Engineer’s diploma obtained in an institution outside of the territory of the agency granting accreditation

    The OIQ does not accept programs offered by institutions located outside of the territory of the agency granting accreditation, nor does it accept agreements signed with other countries. An institution is considered to be outside of the territory when it is geographically located outside of the country of the agency with which the mutual recognition was signed.




    Required documents

    The application you submit to the Admissions Department must include the following:

    • A duly completed and signed permit application form
    • An original birth certificate issued by a civil registry office (accompanied by a photocopy) or one of these original documents accompanied by a photocopy: passport or national identity card. Please take note that each certified copy must be provided by the institution that issued the original document; the original act will be returned to you after verification.
    • A diploma supplement or any other document attesting that you have completed one of the programs of study mentioned in the appendix of the regulation. They must be sent to the OIQ by the issuing institution.
    • A copy of your Engineering Diploma (certified by the issuing educational institution or by an employee of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec upon presentation of the original and photocopy) or a document attesting to the issuance of the diploma or diplomas sent directly to the OIQ by the issuing educational institution.
    • Payment of the permit application fee.

    IMPORTANT : Il est à noter que vous devez également fournir une traduction des documents qui ne sont pas rédigés en français ou en anglais. Dans le cas où la traduction n'est pas effectuée par un traducteur agréé, ce dernier devra attester son travail par une affirmation solennelle.




    File evaluation

    Once your permit application has been received, the Admissions Department will verify that the field of study indicated on your engineer’s diploma is identical in all respects to the field that is indicated on the new list of French programsa> recognized by the OIQ. Furthermore, all submitted documents will be evaluated to ensure that they are indeed the required documents. You will be advised if any further documents are needed.

    The Admissions Department determines whether you are eligible under the MRA or if you need to obtain training equivalence.

    If you hold a diploma covered by the MRA and your file is complete, please allow 6 to 8 weeks of processing time for the OIQ to issue you a Temporary Restrictive Engineers’ Permit (TREP).

    After this permit is issued, you will have to register on the roll to practice engineering as a Temporary Restricted Engineer's Permit (TREP) holder.



    Entry on the roll

    Once your temporary restrictive engineer’s permit (TREP) is issued, you must register on the roll of the OIQ by filling out the form that will be sent to you with the invoice for all payable fees. See Fee Schedule.

    A portion of the payable fees are for the basic group professional insurance plan. However, if you are working in private practice, you also need to be covered by the mandatory group supplementary insurance plan.

    As a member of the OIQ, you agree to comply with the laws binding anyone registered on the roll of the OIQ, including the Code of Ethics of Engineers and the Regulation respecting the mandatory continuing education of engineers.

    The holder of a temporary restrictive engineer's permit is authorized to use the title of Junior Engineer or its abbreviation « Jr. Eng. ». However, he is not authorized to use the title of engineer or its abbreviation "Eng.," and may only practice under the immediate control and supervision of an engineer.

    To obtain your full engineering permit, you will eventually be required to:

    • Practical component: demonstrate the achievement of 6 competencies, broken down into 28 sub-competencies and a minimum of 24 months of engineering experience.
    • Theoretical component: pass the professional examination.
    • Language component: demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the French language.

    For more details on the three components, click here.

    Please note that a holder of a temporary restrictive permit may engage in an activity reserved for engineers only under the technical supervision of an engineer. The holder of a temporary restrictive permit may not, however, sign or seal any notice, plan, specification, report, calculation, study, or drawing, operation or maintenance manual, or any decommissioning plan or specifications relating to a work described in division 3 of the Engineers Act that pertains to reserved activities.



    Was this content useful?


    Gare Windsor, bureau 350
    1100, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montréal (Québec) H3B 2S2

    1 514 845-6141
    Toll free : 1 800 461-6141