Ordre des ingénieurs du Quebec
Lancer la recherche


    OIQ_InternetHomeI amCandidate - Obtaining a permitObtaining a permitHolders of a temporary restrictive engineer's permit (MRA)

    Holders of a temporary restrictive engineer's permit (MRA)   

    For applications made after October 28, 2021

    Holders of a Temporary Restricted Engineer's Permit (TREP) under The Mutual Recognition Agreement on Professional Qualifications (MRA) signed between the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) and the Commission des titres d’ingénieur de France (CTI) are subject to the Règlement sur la délivrance d’un permis de l’Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec pour donner effet à l’arrangement conclu par l’Ordre en vertu de l’Entente entre le Québec et la France en matière de reconnaissance mutuelle des qualifications professionnelles (In French only).

    Below are the main points to consider for obtaining an engineer's permit.


    To obtain a full engineering permit, there are 3 parts to complete:

    Practical component

    6 competencies (divided into 28 sub-competencies) to be achieved in a minimum of 24 months of practical engineering experience (including some specific to the practice of engineering in Canada).

    Competency Assessment Guide for the Engineer’s Permit Acquisition Process

    Theoretical component

    Between 25 to 30 hours of online theory training to prepare for the professional exam.

    Online training is not yet available. In the meantime, a study guide is available in French.

    Exam dates and registration are available on our event platform..

    Language component

    To practice engineering in Quebec, one must have appropriate knowledge of the French language. Professional orders can only issue permits to people who have appropriate knowledge of French to practice their profession (Charte de la langue française, art. 35).

    Practical Component

    To obtain an engineer's permit, you must demonstrate that you have at least 24 months of relevant engineering experience, and that you have acquired 6 competencies, broken down into 28 sub-competencies. Some of these competencies must have been gained in a Canadian environment.

    To do so, you must declare your engineering experience in your portal by going to the "On the road to becoming an engineer" section.

    Types of qualifying experience

    Category/Type of experience Characteristics


    The internship must begin after completing 150 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits, but before obtaining the engineering degree.

    Work experience

    Work experience must be in the field of engineering and must have begun after graduation from engineering school.

    Master's degree in engineering or doctorate in engineering

    Only master's degrees with a "research" designation are accepted in this category. A Master’s degree obtained in France is not eligible.

    Other training

    The training activities must have led to an engineering or engineering-related certification. The duration of the training must be minimum 35 hours. A Master's degree in engineering with a course emphasis is accepted in this category. However, master's degrees obtained in France are not eligible.


    During your work experiences, you must benefit from personalized guidance from a supervisor who holds a full engineering permit to practice in Canada or in a country where the title of an engineer is reserved. The supervisor shares their knowledge and skills while regularly evaluating your progress in achieving your objectives and providing you with the necessary advice for developing your skills. The supervisor must have personal knowledge of your work.

    The choice of supervisor is your responsibility, but it must be approved by the OIQ at the beginning of the practical work period. Otherwise, the practical training period may not be recognized.

    For more details on the role and process of supervision and competency assessment, click here.

    Restricted Activities

    The holder of a temporary restrictive permit in engineering may perform an activity reserved for engineers only under the technical supervision of a professional engineer. However, the holder of TRP may not sign or seal any notice, plan, specification, report, calculation, study, drawing, operation or maintenance manual, decommissioning plan or specification that relates to a work referred to in division 3 of the Engineers Act.


    If you have been on the roll for more than five years and have never declared any engineering experience, you will be charged an assessment fee. If you are not yet a member, the assessment fee is included in your application fee.


    • You may use the title of Junior Engineer or its abbreviation «Jr. Eng.». However, a TRP holder is not permitted to use the title "Engineer" or its abbreviation «Eng.»
    • You may only practice a reserved activity under the technical supervision of a professional engineer who is a member of the OIQ.
    • You are subject to the Code of Ethics of Engineers.
    • You are subject to the regulations governing continuing education, liability insurance and professional inspection, or any other regulation applicable to members of the OIQ


    Subject to entry on the roll, the engineer's permit entitles you to practice engineering independently, to use the title of « Engineer » and to use the abbreviation « Eng. » after your name.

    For more information, please contact our customer service department at sac@oiq.qc.ca or at 1 800 461-6141 or 514 845-6141, option 1.

    Was this content useful?


    Gare Windsor, bureau 350
    1100, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montréal (Québec) H3B 2S2

    1 514 845-6141
    Toll free : 1 800 461-6141