Click here for applications submitted BEFORE July 22, 2021 (previous regulation – professional examination)
The online training activities are not technical in nature. They are meant to help you become familiar with and understand the professional system and the legal environment in Quebec. The concept of passing does not apply in their case.
These are the training activities:
- The Founding Principles of the Professional System and the Roles of Engineers
- Unlawful Practice: What Should You Do?
- Professional Inspection in Engineering: Relevance, Process and Implications
- Engineers Act: Decoding the Profession.
Terms and conditions
- Number of training activities: 4
- Duration: 4.75 hours
- Format: online training (an e-mail with access information will be sent to you)
- Language: French
Online training hours that are eligible under the Regulation respecting mandatory continuing education for engineers
The hours you spend in these online training activities (4.75 hours) as part of the process of obtaining your engineer’s permit can be counted as continuing education hours under the Regulation respecting mandatory continuing education for engineers.
These hours go in the “Non-Credit Courses” category when you report them to the OIQ.
Provided you become a member in the same reference period as the one in which you took the online training activities, the OIQ will record 4.75 hours in your file.
For more information, call the Customer Service Department at 514 845-6141 or 1 800 461-6141, extension 1, or write to email@example.com.
Previous regulation - permit applications submitted BEFORE July 22, 2021
Since all Canadian engineering associations require candidates to pass a similar type of examination, members of such associations are exempt from taking a portion of the Quebec professional examination.
The professional examination is not a technical examination. It is intended to verify the candidate’s knowledge and understanding of the professional system and the legal environment in Quebec.
Terms and conditions
- Duration: two hours and 15 minutes
- Format: 76 multiple-choice questions about the deontological, ethical and legal aspects of the professional engineering practice in Quebec.
- Languages: The examination can be taken in French or English.
- Documentation: No documentation is allowed during the examination
- Passing requirements: A score of 60% is required (candidates who fail have to retake the examination and pay the cost of retaking it – see the fee schedule)
- Results: sent by e-mail within 4 to 6 weeks of the examination.
To register for the professional examination, you simply need to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be able to inform you of upcoming sessions.
The study document is currently being translated and will be available as soon as possible. In the meantime, the French version of the study document can be consulted.
Once you have passed the professional examination, your file will be submitted to the Executive Committee for the purposes of issuing your engineer’s permit. This committee meets every six to eight weeks.
Eligible hours of study under the Regulation respecting mandatory continuing education for engineers
The hours devoted to studying for the OIQ’s professional examination can be counted as continuing education hours under the Regulation respecting the mandatory continuing education for engineers (available in French only).
The number of hours of study that may be reported is determined using the following formula: duration of the examination multiplied by a factor of 3. Therefore, because the OIQ’s professional examination lasts two hours, six continuing education hours are eligible. These hours will go in the “Certification Examination” category when you report them to the OIQ.
Please note that these hours will not be eligible under the regulation if you do not pass your examination. Once you have passed your examination, the OIQ will add the six hours to your file.
Make the most of your study efforts and take advantage of this benefit.
For more information, call the professional examination officer at 514 845-6141 or 1 800 461-6141, option 1, or write to email@example.com.